Wednesday 23 May 2012

Tiny Kitchen From Hell


To say my new kitchen is a challenge would not begin to describe my frustration. It's a kitchen to make coffee in, to reheat take-out (which could be why the first thing the concierge demonstrated was the shelf for the microwave). But I actually like to cook and the oven's too small for any of my baking sheets. The counter's barely big enough for a dishrack let alone a breadboard and there's simply no place to roll out dough (well, except for where I'm working now).
Which makes me dream of the island, kitchen island, I had four apartments ago. 12 feet long, I could lay out catalogues, roll dough for perrogys and still have room at the end for a couple friends to hang out for drinks. No such luck, or room, now.
But I picked up a cool little dishrack at Au Printemps that's perfect--less than 8" wide--and a cutlery holder from Wilfred & Adrienne. That's a start and without spending a lot of money. Of course the big test is baking. I tried making donuts but didn't get past the dough.Even with everything cleared to the diningroom table/office, there just wasn't the room for the fill-and-flip. My donut making choreography is still set for the old kitchen space.    
My tried and true banana cake worked better--at least I hope it's working better. 15 minutes past its baking time, it looks decidedly white; it's obvious I haven't figured how hot this oven actually is. (With my last, I knew to keep turning the heat down by 5 degrees.) I may end up buying dessert for tomorrow's dinner but at least the apartment smells good.

No comments:

Post a Comment